The View from Landmark

Trends and issues in personal computing from Bud Stolker, a long-time PC consultant. The View from Landmark features tips and techniques to make time spent with your computer more productive and rewarding, commentary on new personal computer policies and trends, plain-English explanations of new hardware, software, and network designs and their relevance to you, and answers to common questions. There may be personal material interspersed if Bud believes it is of general interest.

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Another problem with the same Indian call center

More trouble with Dun & Bradstreet's Indian call center, Effective Teleservices, about which I've written in the past.

They called me today for an update of my D&B Business Information file, assuring me that it's not a sales call. I told the rep that due to a prior incident with Effective Teleservices I would respond to D&B only by snail mail. I asked, "Will you confirm that you're taking me off your calling list?"

He wouldn't say yes, so I asked for a supervisor. "I have no supervisor", he responded.

When I persisted, he put a supervisor on the line.

So right away I'm (a) suspicious, and (b) pretty sure I'm dealing again with the carefree crew at Effective Teleservices. The supervisor's supervisor confirmed this.

I asked to be taken off the calling list, and the supe's supe told me she cannot do this. She did at least offer a customer service number for me to call.

What is with this call center? Are they trained to be difficult?

"I have no supervisor." Right. And I've got a bridge to sell you.

D&B needs to re-think their calling strategy. Putting people like this on the phone as D&B representatives makes the company look really stupid.

End note: I spoke to a Customer Service rep at D&B, and she did in fact remove me from the call list, after a brief but ineffective sales pitch.